Let Our Experts Help You Stay Safe!
The law demands that contractors and employers must manage any danger while working at height or on fragile surfaces, ensuring the necessary safety precautions are undertaken and staff are appropriately trained and briefed.
When working on roofs, for example, precautions need to be in place, with a ‘method statement’ being implemented to help manage works and communicate the precautions to those involved.
Key issues for all work at height are:
- Safe access to roofs
- Roof edges and openings
- Fragile surfaces
Everyone involved needs to be fully briefed on:
- High risk: almost one in five deaths in construction work involves roof work
- Main causes: the main causes of death and injury are falling from roof edges or openings, through fragile roofs and through fragile rooflights
- Equipment and people: many accidents could be avoided if the most suitable equipment was used and those doing the work were given adequate information, instruction, training and supervision.
Where safe access is concerned, careful planning is required, making sure the following are in place as necessary:
- General access scaffolds
- Stair towers
- Fixed or mobile scaffold towers
- Mobile access equipment
- Roof access hatches
Roof edges and openings must be addressed, too, for example:
- Sloping roofs much have the appropriate scaffolding and fit edge protection, as well as properly secured ladders to access the roof or proper roof ladders
- Flat roofs require simple edge protection arrangements, such as a double guardrail and toeboard around the edge.
Finally, fragile roof services could require a combination of stagings, guard rails, fall restraint, fall arrest and safety nets.
If you need expert advice on working at height and access safety, then call our team of skilled metalwork fabricators, who can survey and design bespoke metalwork solutions whatever the application.
We design and manufacture:
- Walkways and step-overs
- Guardrail and edge protection
- Ladders and platforms
- Bespoke fabrication and mesh security caging.
Click here for more information or to speak to one of the team.
Call: 01635 244 100